World Premiere Release.
8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Sylvain Pfeffer.
In collaboration with Warner Chappell Music France, Warner Music and Sony ATV, Music Box Records proudly presents the fourth volume of the collection Great Television Soundtracks dedicated to two original television soundtracks composed by Serge Franklin: Des grives aux loups (Thrushes to the Wolves, 1984) and Le juge est une femme - Le secret de Marion (The Judge Is a Woman - The Secret of Marion, 1995).
In 1984, Pathé and the French channel Antenne 2 decide to adapt Claude Michelet’s regionalist novel, Des grives aux loups, into a TV series. Broadcasted in six fifty-two-minute-long episodes, the series attracted a large audience and was awarded the 7 d’Or for Best TV series and was nominated in the Best Original Score category. Des grives aux loups marked the reunion between Philippe Monnier (L'Enfant des loups) and French composer Serge Franklin after two lesser-known television films. Recorded in Rome, this relatively intimate score is built around three reoccurring themes. The main theme is a bright and stirring waltz. Sung by Charles Dumont, the theme opens each episode of the TV series. The second theme is in line with the pastoral tradition through its use of the oboe. The third theme is associated with the Vialhe family. Sadder and more nostalgic, it is mainly performed by oboes and an accordion. This theme is also adapted as a song, Un peu d’enfance, performed by Charles Dumont.
For Le secret de Marion, an episode from the TV series Le juge est une femme, directed by Didier Albert and written by Daniel de Saint-Hamont (a frequent collaborator with director Alexandre Arcady), Serge Franklin delivers a dynamic score, sometimes jazzy, with an array of electronic drum loops, which reminds Sandra, princesse rebelle composed the same year.
Remastered from the original recording sessions, the program has been supervised by Serge Franklin. The 8-page booklet features an essay by Sylvain Pfeffer discussing the series and the scores based on an original interview with the composer. The release is limited to 300 units.
DES GRIVES AUX LOUPS
1. Des grives aux loups (2:52) performed by Charles Dumont
2. Générique début (2:54)
3. Mort de Jean-Édouard (2:19)
4. Louise et Octave (1:33)
5. Le travail aux champs (0:47)
6. Pierre-Édouard et Mathilde (3:16)
7. La permission (1:28)
8. Retrouvailles (2:10)
9. Pierre-Édouard et Mathilde se marient (1:31)
10. Nuit de noces (1:26)
11. Le retour de Berthe (1:11)
12. Léon et Yvette se marient (1:58)
13. Pierre-Édouard et Félix (2:20)
14. Le vagabond serbe (1:44)
15. Paul Vialhe en fuite (0:36)
16. Cantique des grives (3:21)
17. Radio Dupeuch (0:53)
18. Le retour de Jacques (2:23)
19. La ferme de Coste-Roche (1:51)
20. Mort au service de la France (2:03)
21. Toute une vie (2:45)
22. Un peu d'enfance (2:46) performed by Charles Dumont
Time • 45:05
LE JUGE EST UNE FEMME : LE SECRET DE MARION
23. Générique début (1:52)
24. Les vestiaires (4:08)
25. Club sportif USL (2:04)
26. Florence et Nelson (1:54)
27. Caradec'h et Marion (2:48)
28. L'hôpital (1:48)
29. La photographie (1:05)
30. Témoignage de Franck (1:40)
31. Inspecteur Colas enquête (2:44)
32. Le secret de Marion (Prologue) (3:26)
33. Générique de fin (1:13)
Time • 25:07
Total Time • 70:14