Dragon’s Domain Records presents THE CRAIG SAFAN COLLECTION, Volume 1, featuring music composed by Craig Safan from two projects in his extensive filmography, for the first time.
The 1980s were a busy period for Safan. He scored more than three dozen projects during the decade, ranging from feature films, television series and made-for-TV movies. During the middle of this period, Safan began exploring scoring movies by combining orchestras with electronics.
Released in 1987, TIMESTALKERS tells the story of a twentieth-century college professor (William Devane) who is sought out by a woman of the twenty-sixth century (Lauren Hutton) to help her locate a power-crazed scientist (Klaus Kinski) who has left the future to change a significant event in the past in order to alter the events of their future. The manhunt stretches from the year 2586 back to 1886. Directed by Michael Schultz and scripted by Brian Clemens, Safan provided an electronic score using a variety of 1980’s vintage synthesizers, including Synclavier, Yamaha DX7, and Roland Juno-106.
From 1980, DIE LAUGHING tells the story of Pinsky,a San Francisco cab driver (Robbie Benson) and an aspiring singer (Linda Grovenor) who become tangled up in a plot to kidnap a monkey that has memorized a scientific formula with the potential to destroy the world. The formula shows how to turn atomic waste into plutonium. Pinsky finds himself framed for murder and chased all over town by the people who are trying to get their hands on the formula. With DIE LAUGHING, Safan provided a thoroughly orchestral score, recorded with an ensemble of 50 musicians at Evergreen Studios in Los Angeles.
Emmy-nominated and eight-time ASCAP award-winning composer Craig Safan has scored more than one hundred feature films, television and documentaries, has had more than 50 soundtrack albums of his music produced, as well as having three original albums of his own impressionistic music released. He’s been commissioned to compose for ballet as well as for live performance of silent films and was given the Poledouris Film Music Legend Award at the 2014 International Film Music Festival in Cordoba, Spain.
Dragon’s Domain Records, to be distributed through buysoundtrax.com, presents THE CRAIG SAFAN COLLECTION, Volume 1, featuring the world premiere soundtrack releases of TIMESTALKERS and DIE LAUGHING, featuring Craig Safan’s music mastered by James Nelson of Digital Outland. The booklet contains liner notes written by noted author Randall D. Larson and includes comments from the composer.
THE CRAIG SAFAN COLLECTION, Volume 1 is a limited edition release of 500 units.
CD 1 - TIMESTALKERS
1. Timestalkers Main Title / Crash (2:13)
2. To The Auction / Crossfire / Shootout (3:36)
3. Blowups / Time Travels / Georgia / I Believe You (2:20)
4. Cole Surveys Gang / Embarrassed Gang / Crossfire (4:07)
5. Rattlesnake / Memories (2:29)
6. More Time Travel / How Many? / Cole to the 80’s / The Future (4:21)
7. Pickup Truck / Dead Driver / Disorientation (1:25)
8. Western / Star-Handled Stranger / A Clue (2:17)
9. Punk / Matthew Crawford (1:48)
10. Cole Offs Police / Cole Gets Into Base / I Lost It (4:42)
11. Joe Gets It / Come With Me (4:26)
12. 1886 / The Stage Coach /Star-Handed Replacement (7:20)
13. Goodbye to 1886 / The Gift /Saving The Family (2:41)
Total Time: 45:52
CD 2- DIE LAUGHING
1. Die Laughing Main Title (1:48)
2. Broken Window / Taxi Chase / A Woman’s Scream (3:11)
3. Rooftops (0:50)
4. Safe In His Room / Unexpected Visitor / What’s In The Box? (2:32)
5. 1st Mueller / Mueller (1:12)
6. Bayshore Geneva (0:49)
7. The Rabbi’s Run / Arnold’s Cab (2:03)
8. The China Town / Fight in China Town (2:28)
9. Amy Moves (2:31)
10. Love Scene (2:48)
11. Cabbie Attack / Robby Attack (2:23)
12. Mueller Goes Crazy / Flight From the Vineyards / Freeing the Monkey / Chase on Ship (3:50)
13. Pressuring Amy (1:16)
14. Waltz in the Brink (0:41)
15. Mueller The Punk / The Jump / Circus Horses (1:57)
16. Circus Robby Benson (2:24)
17. The Grand March II / Slow Motion Jump / Grand Russian March (2:09)
18. Circus Clowns (1:08)
19. Circus Climb (1:57)
20. High Wire (2:04)
Total Time: 40:49