FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 8: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN
La-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures proudly present the original motion picture score to Paramount Pictures’ horror sequel FRIDAY THE 13th PART VIII – JASON TAKES MANHATTAN (1989), starring Todd Caldecott, Tiffany Paulsen and Kane Hodder, and directed by Rob Hedden. Acclaimed composer Fred Mollin (FRIDAY THE 13th PART VIII, FRIDAY THE 13th: THE SERIES) fashions the first FRIDAY film score at that time not composed or co-composed by Harry Manfredini, creating an all-new musical soundscape of fun and terror. Building on his co-composing for FRIDAY THE 13th PART VIII, Mollin pushes forward his inventive use of industrial percussion, synth pads, rhythmic looping, synthesized strings and woodwinds and skull-pounding dissonance, resulting in a unique and notable work of electronic scoring.
Also featured are four songs from the film: “The Darkest Side of the Night”, “Broken Dream,” “J.J.’s Blues” and “Livin’ In The City,” all making their debut on this presentation with new mixes from composer Fred Mollin and songwriter Stan Meissner’s personal archives.
Produced by Dan Goldwasser and Fred Mollin, and mastered by James Nelson, this limited edition CD release was sourced from the composer’s master elements. Since Mollin composed the score without the “Ki-Ki-Ki… Ma-ma-ma…” motif (these were added later, independent of the score, during the final film mix) many of these iterations are absent from this album.
Writer, composer, and author of the forthcoming book “The Music of FRIDAY THE 13th, Brian Satterwhite, provides the CD’s exclusive, in-depth liner notes, (including comments from Mollin and songwriter Stan Meissner), while the gleefully terrifying art design is by Dan Goldwasser.
1 “The Darkest Side of the Night” 4:56 (Mollin/Meissner) Vocals: Peter Fredette
2. The Story of Jason / Jason Resurrected / Impractical Joke 2:41
3. The End of Jimmy / Goodbye Suzi 3:02
4. The Ghost People / Jason on Board / Porthole Flashback 2:07
5. False Alarm / Sauna Death / Rennie Overboard 3:09
6. Mirror Flashback / Sayanara Tamara / To the Bridge, Masked Man 2:40
7. Discovering Dad / McCulloch Gets Angry / Dropping the Anchor / Eva Finds Tamara / Wayne’s Demise / Wayne Fries 4:34
8. Jason Kills Two / Flashback in the Cabin / In the Galley / Jump Ship 5:35
9. In the Lifeboat / Arriving in New York / Jason Arrives in New York /
Rennie’s Abduction 3:17
10. Rennie and the Punks / Jason and the Punk / Jason and Julius / Heads Up, Julius 3:10
11. Sean Finds Rennie / Freeze!* / Police Car Adventure 1:59
12. After the Collision / Sink or Swim / Goodbye McCulloch 2:57
13. Sean and Rennie / Jason Breaks It Up / Into the Subway / Subway Chase / Jason Fries 3:14
14. Safe at Last (Just Kidding) / Rennie and Sean See Jason / Jason and the Waitress / Down to the Sewer / Goodbye Sewer Worker 4:42
15. Sewer Chase / Toxic Flood / The End of Jason 4:49
16. “Broken Dream” 3:34 (Mollin/Meissner) Vocals: Terry Crawford
17. “Livin’ in the City” 3:46 (S. Meissner) Vocals: King Lou
18. “J.J.’s Blues” 0:47 (S. Meissner)
19. “The Darkest Side of the Night” (instrumental) 5:28
TOTAL ALBUM TIME 67:05
* not used in film